Sunday, February 6, 2011

Does Facebook Make Someone Social Offline?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/fashion/30Studied.html


Does Facebook Make Someone Social  Offline?

   
   This article was written by S. Craig Watkins and H. Erin Lee. They mentioned about  the movie Social Network and gave you an example based on that movie. However, here is a question, if Facebook makes you social offline? The writers  gave us two significant reasons why Facebook is so convenient and useful. That is   young people can stay in touch with their friends and family members. Before that Dr. Watkins thought that is not too private to use Facebook, but even though is not private the amount of people is expanded. Based on the research men tend to use Facebook functionally, posting news, information and task-oriented content. On the other hand, women are more likely to demonstrate online affection, share family photos, and commiserate remotely over snapshots from girl's night out, and they also like to broadcast their relationship. 

   
    In my opinion, I will not use Facebook, because I think it's lack of privacy, so that's why I'm not using the Facebook. If we are still depends on the Facebook, our personality can be changed. Owing to the fact that it will be better to communicate face to face than chit chat on the computer. I suppose that it will be more and more better if our next generation will stop using social networking.

7 comments:

  1. Communicating face to face is good but as for a relation with the distance, how can we be in touch with the family or friends? Facebook is just like the journal for everyone to know what the person is doing. As for me, i think it is very useful because we can connect with those we love when we are away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally disagree with you, Peter. Everything has two sides: good and bad. The result of it definitely depends on the goal of users. No one can deny the conveniences and helpfulness of social network. It's such an important part in the development of our society. It's also the only way for people to communicate fast. The bad effects from it just because of the bad users. We cant put that responsibility on social network to prevent it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People, especially young group, are easy addicted to internet. This not only happened on facebook or a single country, in my country China, I think this problem is much worser. There are many event shows that online game and online chatting have great influence on youngs' thought and life style, most of these influences are negative (I know there are active parts, but they are a little). It's hard to change this situation because people have the right to spend their time on internet, there is little reason for goverment to limit people. The only thing we can do is to broadcast the right way to using internet and hope people will have a change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. I agree with you! I’m facebook user but I quite not use facebook :( haha. Some people say facebook brings broad social network but I think this social network is fake! This is because most facbook user have a lot of friends but in real world, they just say hi~ or hello and go away somewhere. In my opinion, this is not friends and social world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. personally I agree with you about Facebook can harm our privacy but on the other hand, I don't think that Facebook can change our personality. It's just simply a tool to connect people and make friend with many people from many countries. but that doesn't mean facebook can't be addicted, if we can use it in a right way, it's good so try to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally don't understand how a SOCIAL NETWORK can be a private place??? Sites such as Face book for that reason fall into the category as "social" due to the fact that based on communication, but if you want privacy, you need to create your own blog, put a password and no one except you will not go there. Nevertheless, I agree that Face book and similar sites make worse our personal communication skills, as well as blunt our literacy in the writing. And of course, I believe that nothing can replace personal contact with our friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You see, my literacy has become blunt by facebook, because I wrote this word separately before :P

    ReplyDelete